https://www.youtube.com/watch?qqk4ItPjU5g&t=10h4m (Link maybe down?)
Why should you watch this 45 minute talk? Because these people are the governors of the new world and they're talking about human history, politics, and technology. If you want to gain insight into the mindset of the hacker elite, this is a good place to start. Ella is also an acquaintance of mine. So please give these ladies the respect attention they deserve.
Here's some of the topics covered:
- The world is burning. You can't be neutral.
- Since 2006, global protests are rising extremely rapidly.
- Technology is neither good nor bad; nor is it neutral.
- Surveillance is neither good nor bad; nor is it neutral.
- Governments are panicking and afraid.
My favorite part is around 10h39m when Quinn implores her listeners to adopt a greater sense of social responsibility. She reminds them that their technology has already replaced many of the old social institutions, trying to instill in them not only a sense of pride, but of duty to the people they rule.
Nobody became a geek because they wanted to become the center of political attention—that just happened! [...] Yet we're still in a community where we have to remind people to eat and bathe themselves. It is time for us to up our game. —Quinn Norton